It is the Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN) is visual modeling language that is used to model applications for business analysis and defining business process workflows. It can be described as an open-standard for flowcharts with graphics that are used to describe the workflows for business processes. It is a well-known and easy to understand graphic that is easily understood by all stakeholders in the business including business analysts, business users as well as software developers and data architects.
The story of BPMN
BPMN is the result of the synthesis of several models for business. The original publication was made through the Business Process Management Initiative (BPMI) in 2004. BPMN is currently managed by OMG as the two organizations were merged in the year 2005. BPMI has merged with OMG and became OMG, the Object Management Group. The BPMN Specification document was published by OMG in February, 2006. The version 2.0 of BPMN was developed in the year 2010 The final Version 2.0 of BPMN was made public in December 2013. The most current BPMN version ( BPMN 2.0.2) was officially published by ISO as the 2013 edition of the Standard: ISO/IEC 19510.
Benefits of BPMN
BPMN lets us capture and record the business processes within an organization in a consistent and clear way to ensure that all individuals, like business users and the owners of the process are included throughout the course of the work. Therefore, the team is able to react to any problems that are discovered in the processes with greater efficiency. BPMN provides comprehensive yet comprehensive notes that are easily understood by non-technical and technical people involved. Business process modeling can bring significant advantages to organizations and businesses such as those mentioned below.
- A standard for industry developed through OMG consortium. OMG consortium, which is a non-profit industry group.
- Businesses are capable of creating and understanding their business processes by using Diagrams of Business Process Diagrams
- Standardize the note that can be easily understood for all business stakeholders
- To close this communication gap which often is present between the design of business processes and its implementation
- Simple to grasp, yet powerful enough to convey the potential complexity of a business procedure
The Objective of BPMN
- Experts in the field of technology in charge of process execution
- Business analysts who design and improve processes
- Managers who supervise and manage the process
Overview of BPMN
Understanding the way the business runs is the very first and most important step to improvement in business processes. Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN) is an illustration of workflows for business that any person from the business analyst to the stakeholder, can understand and assist in analysis of business processes and process improvement.
The process described in BPMN is depicted as a set of actions (activities) that take place in conjunction or simultaneously following certain business regulations. Look at the “Place order online” procedure that can be utilized in an online shop that allows customers to place orders on the internet.